Monthly Archives: August 2013

A Lindfield Mystery

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Photo courtesy of Lindfield Parish Council Archives

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Photo courtesy Lindfield Parish Council Archives

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Photo courtesy Lindfield Parish Council Archives

In the early to mid 20th century china was sold in our village with the mark of “Rainbow Pottery, Lindfield” stamped on the base.  Little is known about it apart from the fact it was probably sold from premises behind Abbotts Pharmacy in the High Street. Can anyone remember anything about this?

The Haywards Heath Ceramics Group knows quite a lot about it but are attempting  to find out more.  Was the china actually made in Lindfield, if so where was the pottery?  Or was it made further afield and just stamped with our name for sale in Lindfield? Was there a connection with a major ceramics manufacturer  in The Potteries? We know it was exhibited in the Empire Exhibition at Wembley 1924/25. Some of the pottery has a very attractive floral pattern while another known piece is quite different with a beautiful lustre finish. Have you inherited any examples of this china?

We would love to know more. If you can help us please contact Mrs Caroline Young on 01444 473897 or youngcarolinem@tiscali.co.uk.

HHCG Outing – Ranger’s House, Blackheath

RangersH_Exterio

On Tuesday, 23 July 2013 an intrepid group of around 30 members and guests boarded a coach on one of the hottest days of the year, in order to visit Ranger’s House in London.

Ranger’s House is an elegant Georgian villa in Greenwich Park which houses The Wernher Collection, a remarkable collection of works of art amassed by diamond magnate Sir Julius Wernher (1850-1912).  Arranged within the panelled interiors of this graceful mansion is a glittering spectacle – a sumptuous arrangement of silver and jewels, paintings and porcelain.   Nearly 700 works of art are on display, including early religious paintings and Dutch Old Masters, tiny carved Gothic ivories, fine Renaissance bronzes and silver treasures revealing the genius of medieval craftsmen and the unparalleled quality of Renaissance decorative arts.

On arrival at the “House”, which had been opened exclusively for our visit, we were taken to the delightfully cool cellars for a refreshing drink and an enjoyable lunch.  Lunch was followed by an excellent tour during which the guides gave details of many of the artifacts on show.  This was complemented by written listings in each room.  We also had the opportunity to revisit the rooms after another refreshing drink in the cellars!

Our return home was uneventful and all agreed it had been an excellent visit and thanks were extended to organiser Miss Trudy Wood, who was regrettably unable to accompany us due to illness.  Mrs Janet Fleming however, rose to the challenge and controlled us superbly.